There are few things that a person can do to keep their synthetic wigs as natural looking “as possible” but it does require some maintenance and a reality check. Synthetic wigs are not real hair, they are synthetic. You can make them look as natural as possible but the reality is that they are not made out of real human hair and over time, the hair quality and Body Wave Wig fibres are going to change making the hair look unnatural or synthetic.
The average life span of a synthetic wig that is worn daily is about three months. Like it or not, this is a fact. You can keep your wig longer than that but then who are we fooling? Your wig is going to start looking like a wig. So if you are one of those people who claims to have a synthetic wig that has lasted you a year, you sadly might be one of those people out there who thinks your hair looks fabulous and it might well so, but we also can tell that you are a wearing a wig. The most common reason that wigs become noticeable is that many customers keep the longer than they should. Listed below are a few things that you can do to keep your wigs as natural as possible for as long as you can.
1) Understand that synthetic hair longevity as noted by wig manufacturers worldwide is 90 days with washing in between every 6-8 wears. Please don’t fool yourself into thinking that your wig looks just like it did when you pulled it out the box 3 or 4 months ago. It just doesn’t. We can tell you have a wig on!
2) Know how to properly take care of your wig. It is synthetic so that means you should only be using product that is designed for synthetic hair fibres. When wig stores sell wig kits, they sell them for a reason but too many customers want to save a dollar and avoid them. A wig cap will help you keep the inside of the wig, rub free, and odour scent free, and the formulated wig shampoos and wig sheens will combat any frizzing or matting of the hair that tends to make it look “wiggy” over time. This is most important after washing the wigs, as it should be sprayed with a sheen or wig conditioner and left to dry for best results.
3) Be prepared to buy two wigs and not one. All too often wig shoppers buy a wig and wear the life out of it, and then are in a panic when the wig no longer looks natural and they need one in a hurry. Then it becomes a wig emergency and often times, the wig could be out of stock, your favorite color could have been discontinued so on and so forth. If you find a wig, that suits you and you like, buy two of them. Some will give you a discount if you buy more than one of the same item. The benefit of having a second wig also called the “back up”wig is because you can easily designate one wig for your at home wig, and the other wig for your work or going out in public wig. Depending on which is worn more or less gives the option of having a wig around that looks fabulous all the time because its worn less than the other. Having two wigs is also a great idea if you plan to wash your wing two wigs is a must and will prevent from ending up with a wig emergency. When your wigs starts looking “wiggy”, you instantly have another one to throw on and no one is all the wiser about your hair situation.
4) Choose the right color and stick to it. If you don’t want everyone at the office to know you are wearing a wig, don’t go from bleach blonde to red, and then change your hair back to brown the next two months. Anyone knows that if you dyed your own hair that much, you wouldn’t have any hair. The damage would be insurmountable. If you really are concerned about people finding out that it is not your own hair, choose a color that is closest to your natural hair color and learn to stick with it. Also, buying more than one of the wig is a sure way to make sure that even if your wig color gets discontinued by the manufacturer you will still have a back up in place to give you time to find an alternate style in the same color or change altogether.
5) Comb or brush your wig just as you would your own hair and position the wig on your head to match your hairline. Too often customers think that now that they have a wig, they can just put it and go. Yes, the wigs might be pre-styled but you still need comb them or brush them in some sort of style to suit your face. If you ask anyone, a person can most easily be detected by wearing an uncombed wig or hairpiece that looks like it was just plopped on the person’s head. How awful is that. Make sure you when you put on your wig that you use the ear tabs inside of the cap as a guide as to where your wig line should be positioned. No one has a hair line that touches their eye brows! At least we hope not. Use your common sense and put the wig on to match where your hair is or was previously. If the wig does not sit correctly on your head, you may have to adjust the straps inside the cap for a firmer hold or you may need the use of tape and glue. Many salons can help you position a wig correctly if you need help. If the wig still isn’t sitting on your head correctly you may be required to consider having a custom wig made for a proper fitting.
If there was ever a person out there who fooled us all, it would be Raquel Welch. She had been wearing wigs for years and no one ever knew about it or thought to ask because she always looked so glamorous! She kept her hair color the same for years and of course someone with her budget had several back up wigs to choose from when one completed its life span. At any rate, she did everything right and so can you. If there is anyone is a great example of how to keep your wigs a hidden hair mystery, she is it. You can do the same and keep them all guessing.
There is nothing like being able to wear a wig confidently and know that everyone thinks you just have a great new hair style. It can be done. We have worked with customers who have fooled even their spouses just by using a few of the trick and tips provided above for a wig that looks like your own natural hair.